View Single Post
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
Those that have seen a complete seal rebuild kit from Porsche/Brembo can attest to the kit including four things:

-Square cut pressure seal
-Dust scraper or boot
-Hard anodized piston
-Packet of grease

More recent kits i've seen have Kluber grease in them. Which is basically the same type of Sil-Glyde silicone grease that Shaun uses.

This grease helps get the pistons into the bores w/out hanging up on the pressure seals. The pressure seals are purposely shaped with a square cross section to grip the piston and retract it a tiny bit after you release the brake pedal. That tight fit & grip on the piston swipes off brake fluid and makes for difficult sliding of the piston within the seal. The grease is a MUCH better lubricant for inserting the pistons into the seals versus plain brake fluid.

I got some Centric brand seal kits (seals only, no piston, no grease) for a set of 964 calipers and they were a real bear to get the pistons inserted. I totally whiffed on using the grease I have on the shelf (mine is a tube of Dow Corning 111 that I had on bought for oil return tube o-rings years ago) and damaged the pressure seal pushing the piston in place.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)