View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tishabet View Post
I suppose I could, but I always sit to put on my socks and shoes.... not sure why, I definitely stand to put on pants. I am also absurdly flexible, both by natural physiology and through intentional stretches e.g. I can stand with my knees locked and put my entire palm of both hands flat on the ground and keep them there, no sweat.

The older I get (about to turn 39) the more often I ponder the differences (attitude, habits etc) of the 60 and 70 year olds I know who are "old" vs those who are still out there killing it. My dad is 78, he skis 60-70 or so days each season and kept up with me on a challenging 8 day backpacking trip last year. I'm pretty sure he could take me in a fight if it came down to it. We had a house guest recently who just turned 67, no notable health problems and a healthy BMI... he could not muster the strength to walk half a mile down to our beach on a mildly graded footpath through the woods.
Turned 52 a few months ago. I just got off my chair without doing anything else with knees locked but only mamaged to have four fingers flat on the ground but not my hand. big difference to add that two inched, but I am sure if I try a few times and loosen up, it can be done.

I have't been backpacking since my mid 20s. Around 35-40, my three close friends were bored and decided to take the single foot trail up to Mt Wilson to see what kind of shape we were in only because we used to go up training for those long back packing trip all the time. I wasn't riding my bike, but worked day in and day out. They had sit down, fat guy jobs. This is a 5000+ climb from about 700'. HAlf way up, we were breathing heavy and was dying for water. These old men, in their mid 60 and 70 passed us like if were going backwards. They stopped and chatted with us at the small lookout. We discovered they did this climb 2-3 times a week. Damn those older guys were in great shape. Not fat but fit. if one kept up with the exercise, we can stay fit a long time. I know some guys that are in their early 60s who will embarrass 30 year olds on the bike. These guys were in the Olympic back up team, and stuck to riding many miles weekly. They used to drag me out like a dead dog and gave me hell yet they still do. I think the key is to keep on keeping on.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)