Thread: The DOG thread
View Single Post
I'm with Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKDinOKC View Post
My first Golden, Penny, lived 17-1/2 years. She went everywhere with me. And I mean everywhere. Treated her like she was my guide dog. Nobody minded because she was trained as well as any guide dog. She even ignore everyone else and wouldn't even take treats from them unless I said, Okay. Used to fly R/C planes and she was the only dog the guys would let come to the flying field. She would lay a foot behind me while I was flying my plane. They said it was because of her invisible leash, but I think it was because she would fetch beers out of the ice chests in the back of their trucks when asked. She even knew whose truck was whose.

Was really broken up when had to put her to sleep, old age internal organ failures. But did not want her to go thru pain, surgeries, etc just to keep her with me a couple more months. Basically cried anytime I thought about her for the next couple of days. Even today it still gets to me.

After 3 months without Penny could not handle it any more so got another Golden. This one, Camber was not as smart as Penny. She did mind well. But, also had my Mom living with me and she quickly became her dog instead of mine. Slept in Mom's room, asked Mom to go in and out, etc. Couldn't take her places like Penny because she just didn't mind as well. At 13 had to put her, Camber not my Mom down because of cancer on her spine.

Mom was going thru the later stages of dementia. When Camber passed Mom immediately got super withdrawn, went to bed and refused to get up or communicate. So, the very next day found another Golden puppy. Made Mom get up, go with me, and pick out the puppy. Rode back home with the puppy in Mom' lap. The same as we had done with Camber.

Having the 6 week old puppy had a absolutely amazing effect on Mom. She remembered how to and did things she hadn't done in 5 years. She got up in the mornings and started fixing her own meals again (mainly so she could feed the puppy from her plate). She even remembered what days her hair appointment was and got up and got ready. Before the puppy I had to struggle to get her up and ready in time to go and then she would ask where we were going 4 times in the 5 miles to the beauty shop.

Sadly a year after getting the Camber Mom passed. It was early morning and I was asleep, Camber woke me up and led me to her laying on the floor and licked her face. Sadly it was too late for cpr to do any good.

That is the Golden, Pepper I have now.
That is an amazing story, thank you for sharing it.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser - Black Betty
2014 BMW i3 Giga World
Old 02-26-2019, 04:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4707 (permalink)