View Single Post

Thought I would follow up on this since there seemed to be some well intended, but incorrect advice offered. Hopefully, my experience will help someone else. Turns out this is an extremely easy repair.

On my sunroof, it was the hinge on the right side that broke. The air dam rotates on the hinges due to the arms located at the left and right extremities of the air dam. When the sunroof closes, the arms are forced down which (under normal operation) pulls the air dam down so that it retracts below the level of the sunroof so it is safely tucked away when the sunroof is closed. The arms are attached to the air dam via small springs which are configured to push the air dam to the upright position. The force of the springs are overcome when the sunroof closes.

IMO, the best way to remove the air dam is to leave the arms attached at the air dam and detach the other end of the arms by either loosening or removing completely the metal strips that contain a pin that holds the arm(s) in place. You just need enough clearance to slip the plastic arm off its retaining pin. You can see this in the attached photo. Once the arms are freed, the air dam can be removed from its remaining intact hinge. You can leave the arms attached to the air dam.

Next the metal strip that houses the plastic hinges must be removed. It's held in place by four screws. Once all four screws are removed, the plate itself may require some gentle nudging to break free. I just put some masking tape over the end of a screwdriver and gently pried it free. Once this is removed, it's easy to replace the broken hinge with the new part. Just make sure to locate the pins of the air dam in the hinges first. ;-)

Now you can remount the metal plate and reattach the plastic arms.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)