View Single Post

Garage
Chris,
If you want to keep your car as close to stock for a turbo route, I've seen an exhaust pipe that basically replaces the catalytic converter and feeds into the turbo at the stock location. Then you just need an up pipe in to the engine bay/intercooler, a bit of piping from intercooler to throttle body, and what I forgot was an oil line to/from the turbo.The piping should be pretty easy as you can get a prefabbed intercooler to fit the turbo tail you already have which leaves a pretty much straight section and a 180 bend section. There's several members here that are running 0.5 bar of boost on (I think, might be 9.0) the stock 9.5:1 pistons. I have also heard of shimming the heads with thicker gaskets, but I don't remember where, and at this point couldn't possibly say one way or the other. All of this would be easily removed to return to stock and just drop the old chip back in. As for NA, yes, it's easier since you are just swapping the piston/cylinder set during a rebuild. Twin plug will add a bit more complexity, but there's plenty of folks out there who can help once you pick a route. In terms of which is easier, I would argue if you can do a full rebuild yourself, the turbo kit should not be any harder, just a little different. I think for a modest rebuild budget, the question is do you want an extra ~35hp, or ~80hp at the associated cost. As for what will happen to the car's value, I've never stopped to think about it. My plan is do what I want with the money I've got, and anything lost in a potential sale is the cost of enjoying the project. Unfortunately, no one can tell you which you will enjoy more (because NA vs turbo certainly have a bit of character to them), only give you a ride in their setup and let you decide for yourself.

'79 Copper 911 SC
'88 911 Carrera
Old 04-09-2019, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)