View Single Post
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesc_us View Post
Great build, but IMHO your choice of tire and wheel sizes just look too big and out of proportion with the rest of the car. Your build though so nice to see it's being built to your vision of what you want.
I agree, and I'm a wheel/tire guy by trade. These wheels are maybe 1 or 2" in diameter larger then what came on the 82SC. I guess the car has a old school look to it, but by no means was this meant to be any kind of tribute build. I built the car based on my first 911 and that was based on being as lightweight as we could get it while keeping all the glass and still streetable. Most of the car is fiberglass parts. Trust me, If I could get new wheels in say a 15x 9/11 forged/modern tech. and save all the unsprung weight, I would. But then you have to find tires. I have a hard enough time finding 17" tires for these wheels which use 245/40/17 fronts and 285/40/17. Even those are only produced by a small handful of companies these days, forget about 14 15 and 16" sizes. I'm all about weight savings in the wheel dept, but I'm not going to pay a small fortune for 30 year old OEM Fuchs from "period" that have been widened to get the correct "look". No knock on anybody, but if I'm going to spend the money, I want lightweight modern built forged performance wheels and these happen to "fit the bill" for my car. I had them on a couple of cars and they never failed me including some good track time.

PS I believe that's a real bad camera angle, in person they look pretty decent. However the tire lettering gets allot of ups and downs no doubt! I did put the classic lenses back on the headlamps and Im considering no lettering on the next set of tires. I may try and tone it down a notch if that's possible. Thanks for the comment, love hearing the good, bad and indifferent.

95 993 C2 GP white/tan (sold)
82 911SC Hot Rod lightweight Black/black (sold)

Last edited by nippy; 06-21-2019 at 04:35 PM..
Old 06-21-2019, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #816 (permalink)