View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Very nice write up, Mike! And dayuuummnnn, I can relate to the do-overs you mentioned (seems to be the norm for me, regardless of how well I think I have something planned out ).

And it sounds like yer wife is a smart woman - no mobile a/c when it is hot out means non-operational mode of transport for me, too.
Thanks Ronnie! Yep...do-overs a common thing we DIY's face when we work on our cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb07 View Post
You had me convinced until this;

now my wife would go for a cruise with me during the summer months

Good info, planning on putting this in one of my cars.
Ha-ha...just don't tell your wife about about the added A/C!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljpviper View Post
Mike,

I just got back into an 89 930 black on black after 20 years from 86 930.

I love the car but living in Miami AC is a must. In your opinion is it better just to go with the electric AC,rather than go the changing hoses, condensers, etc.

The AC actually works not too bad but I drive it from my garage to work also away from the sun. I do use it in the weekend.

Thanks

Larry
Hmm...since your 89 already have A/C I would do the common upgrades rather than rip everything out for electric A/C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobS911 View Post
Nice job! I have no AC and I'm considering this companies as well as I've started to get more big road trips in with the car and it would be nice to roll the windows up from time to time to give my ears a break!
Go for it...you won't be disappointed. Just don't expect vent temp to be in the low-mid 30's deg F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo View Post
Mike,
Thanks for the write-up. I have been looking at electric AC for a few months for some other cars. What would you estimate your cost for the installation?
I know you said your entire AC system has been removed from your car, but if you have an existing system in place, would it be a simple matter of a plumbing in the electric compressor?
Besides the horsepower drag due to a conventional compressor, what was your assessment of advantages of an electric one?

Appreciate your perspective.
Thanks.
It cost me around $4000 since I did all of the work myself. Dunno if you farm out the job. If you do then I imagine it won't be cheap!

No...it would not be simple to just swap out the stock A/C to electric A/C. You would need to remove all stock A/C components.

There's no power loss when electric A/C kicks on...I can't tell power wise whether the A/C is on or off. It's a very efficient system which I'm impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocker View Post
Yes, the big question is: Would you go this route again, versus the tried-and-true Griffith kit (which seems like it is far more "sorted" than this electric kit).
As I said before...if your car already have A/C then I would use a Griffith kit or equivalent. Going electric A/C makes sense for those who don't have A/C components and/or those who wants to move the weight to the front.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)