View Single Post

after timing belt change problems

Hi,
I've just completed the waterpump, front seals, timing belt, thermostat,and thermoswitch change and have 2 lasting problems I need expert advice on.

1) After starting up and running without covers and power steering or alternator belts on I wanted to check the cooling system and timing. Timing and balance belts are great however there is no noticeable flow of coolant after the car warms up to past the 3/4 mark.(grabbing upper and lower hoses are cool to touch). After searching the forum I'm hoping it's not the new thermostat (PITA after waterpump installation) but leaning towards improper bleeding. Could improper bleeding cause sufficient pockets of air that the thermostat not open? Also the old thermostat had nothing installed but the thermostat and snap ring (no rubber sleeve around thermostat). Could wiggle it around yet never had cooling problems.

2) Before the teardown the battery was starting to go dead after 1 or 2 cranks and wouldn't hold a charge. I am going to replace after the belt/pump change. So, I had to jump to get it cranked and figuring that since the alternator belt was off anyway I would just keep cables on from host vehicle while the 944 did the initial warm up. After realizing the possicle thermostat problem and shutting everything off, I walked around rear and noticed gas leaking from under fuel tank where the 2 covers come together. SOB, another problem to fix!!!! It finally stopped after shutting the car off. Could this come from no alternator, host jumping for 10 min or more/ or just another problem unrelated?
Sorry so long.
Thanks in advanced.

87' NA 944
Old 11-29-2003, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)