View Single Post

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug E
Nathan - at this point I'm thinking of just leaving the P's inside the C's like Wayne suggests as I wasn't intending to do any kind of spec check.
Not a good idea......

Before I took my motor down for head stud repair, it ran very well; didn't smoke; lots of power; no leaks, etc. It was such a sweet-running motor, I was pissed at having to open it *just* for a broken head stud.

For a time, I considered the "method" of removing the cylinder and pistons as a unit, so as not to disturb them. But luckily, I talked this over with some pro-wrenches. They said NO! The only proper way is to remove the P&C's and measure with accurate tools (or have them measured by your machinist).

I'm glad I took their advice, as I had 2 pistons with *broken oil rings*!! How would I have known this otherwise? Especially when the motor had good compression numbers and didn't use a lot of oil.
I was told by one expert mechanic, that the broken oil rings were not uncommon.

So, do the right thing....pull the cylinders, measure, and re & re as required. You'll be glad you did!

Last edited by Doug Zielke; 11-30-2003 at 07:38 AM..
Old 11-30-2003, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)