View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Toast
Jeeps have changed their manufacturing techniques and companies since your 1998 Wrangler. Too bad! I really like Jeeps. Wont own one now thoe.
Yes, the 1998 was a well built, reliable vehicle. I put tons of miles on it with no problems whatsoever... just regular oil changes and scheduled maint.

The 2002 was a problem from day one. Had the front discs and pads replaced THREE times under warantee in the first 6 months because it would pull to the right every time you applied the brakes. Of course the suspension was always "within chrysler specs".

Went through 3 sets of tires before 36k miles. Each time the tires had been rotated by the dealer at the specified intervals and every time they became severely cupped and produced defening road noises. Even though they had plenty of tread. Again the dealer claimed that the alignment was perfect and all the suspension components were... you guessed it, within chrysler specs.

The most frustrating problem was the transmission. Having owned the 1998 I know what the transmission SHOULD have felt like. This thing was so sloppy it made the 914 feel like an F1 machine. It NEVER wanted to go into second and sounded like a deisel motor when in nuetral. We had it at two different dealers to be adjusted/repaired close to six times over two years. Each time guess what we were told? Within chrysler specs!

One service manager even told me that if something bad were to happen to it, say like all the tranny oil was accidentaly drained, and then the transmission was actually dammaged THEN they could replace it under warantee. He was basucakly telling me how to get around the system but I guess I am just too honest to do that sort of thing.

After a lengthy battle with Chrysler and the original dealer we were finally able to sell it back to Jeep for about what we owed.

The entire process was a nightmare. No more Diamler Chrysler products for me ever!!!
Old 11-30-2003, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)