View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyerkes View Post
I too am interested in the tool, but I would prefer a set in a metal having similar characteristics to the stock metal. After several exchanges with Brad, he has indicated that Titanium would be a close match, but that the kit price would be higher, $325 vs. the current price of $175. The collars and screws would both be titanium. The weight reduction would be to knock the current SNAPGAP weight of 6.1 g down to 3.35 g vs. the OEM nut of 2.7 g. Otherwise the kit would be the same -- and, of course additional sets of shims would remain the same for both kits. The expansion coefficient for titanium is actually a bit less than steel, so the titanium collars would actually grip the steel adjustment screws a bit tighter than the steel collars when the two are heated by engine operation. To make this viable he would need to determine whether they would be marketable at that price point. To me it is a minor investment if it results in greatly simplifying the valve adjustment process, providing easily repeatable and accurate adjustments and has the same or better reliability of component parts. Please indicate if you would be interested in a titanium kit.
David and others who may be interested: After further evaluation, unless someone can provide me with a demonstrable benefit of reducing the weight this tiny amount on a 911 or 914 set up, I do not believe I will be offering the Titanium option. A respected engine builder I corresponded with is of the opinion that given the geometry of the Porsche valve train, this reduction would make no difference in performance. It might make a difference in an F1 engine. But, if it did make a material difference in the 911 engines, you would think Porsche would have long ago put the cast iron rocker arms on a diet.

Hell, for that matter if it really made a difference, any one can remove a few grams from the 911 rockers in a few minutes with an angle grinder and I don't see anyone doing that to enhance performance.

Inventor of SNAPGAP - The Valve Adjustment Solution
European Patent No. 3256703 and U.S. Patents Pending
Go to SNAPGAP.US or PM me.
Old 10-10-2019, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)