View Single Post
Mighty Meatlocker Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Higgins View Post
. . .

The world's simplest way to do this: Don't even try to "check" any of them. Simply loosen the lock nut, then loosen the adjustment screw until the rocker moves enough to easily place the feeler gauge in the gap. Hold it there with one hand and, with the other, put a screw driver in the slot and push the adjustment screw down onto the feeler gauge until it makes firm contact. Then turn the screw driver until you take all of the play out, tighten the locknut, and you are done. This takes literally a minute or less, and no skill or "feel" whatsoever. And no elaborate, funky tools.

Way too many people let this simple procedure intimidate them. The whole question of what is too loose vs. what is too tight gets way over thought. The tolerances are very generous. If you can slide the feeler gauge without undue effort, and the rocker doesn't move with the feeler gauge in place, you are good to go. No need to overthink this, or to resort to weird little tools.
To me, you are proposing doing a lot of needless work; most of the time only a couple of the rockers need any adjustment at all, so adjusting all of them for no good reason is not something I'm willing to do (on any engine that has measurable and adjustable lash). With a 911 engine, I first measure using the backside method (much easier for me to work the feeler blades that way), and then only make an adjustment if needed.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)