View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Higgins View Post
It really is just that simple, kids. Seems like every few years someone posts a "better" way, which is really just more complicated and/or more expensive (if you buy their nifty tool).

The world's simplest way to do this: Don't even try to "check" any of them. Simply loosen the lock nut, then loosen the adjustment screw until the rocker moves enough to easily place the feeler gauge in the gap. Hold it there with one hand and, with the other, put a screw driver in the slot and push the adjustment screw down onto the feeler gauge until it makes firm contact. Then turn the screw driver until you take all of the play out, tighten the locknut, and you are done. This takes literally a minute or less, and no skill or "feel" whatsoever. And no elaborate, funky tools.

Way too many people let this simple procedure intimidate them. The whole question of what is too loose vs. what is too tight gets way over thought. The tolerances are very generous. If you can slide the feeler gauge without undue effort, and the rocker doesn't move with the feeler gauge in place, you are good to go. No need to overthink this, or to resort to weird little tools.
As someone who does his best to make a living doing this work, whether I'm any good or not, I believe if any way or any tools makes the job for YOU easier, then why not. Its about accuracy in the end and if a tool makes you feel better that you have done the job correctly, go for it.

I have no alliance to any other company or tool , just think that we as humans are all different and some of us see it black and some see it white. Some see it easy to use a feeler gauge, then go for it, while others find using a tool easier, then great, use it. In the end, its about the final result, not so much how you got there.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)