View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spuggy View Post
I couldn't agree more. A large attraction of my mongrel hot-rod with 250K miles on the tub was zero remorse at making it what I want because most of the work had already been done. Even so, I don't modify original parts... And thanks to tatty old paint, I park it anywhere without batting an eye, which I see as another bonus...

On the one hand, "it's your car, do what you want" and "you're not an unpaid museum curator" are perfectly valid POVs.

On the other hand, a real Ruf is pretty special - and a large part of the value would have to be originality or "correctness".

OP clearly doesn't want to needlessly waste money - but bills obviously don't scare him either. I think there are several options that would preserve the provenance:
  • Ruf go through the BTR motor he's been offered.
  • Ruf make the BTR motor into a BTR III
  • Ruf go through & update the BTR with updated tech - a BTR IV, if you will.

Another way might be to take the 1st or 2nd option against future resale purposes - and also build up a 964 or 993-based EFI/ITB/BB turbo mule for whazzing around in. That'd scratch the HP itch and also keep the original option on the table.

I'd be curious to know exactly how much Ruf under-state the output of the BTR III, actually. Everyone knows the numbers they gave for the CTR were *cough* conservative *cough*

Say spuggy, I was so inspired by your intuitive/informative post that I busted a move! Last night I called Ruf and was fortunate enough to speak with Mr.Ruf (Marcel -- head of the workshop). He was very cordial and gave me the invitation to ship the motor (while in Europe) to them for a BTR Iii upgrade. He also said they would test it on the dyno.

I may need now to think how to raise money for this! No prices were discussed, yet I did let him know I got this car 20 years ago by coincidence. I let him know that I'm not like most/all of their wealthy customers. See what you got me into here? I'm scared sh-tless what numbers will come back if/when I ship the motor to them. Probably the best idea though, as you and some others on engine forum said.

Thank you for the advice! I may come back and curse you after I get the bill! Just kidding I hope.

bernie
Old 11-01-2019, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)