View Single Post

Cleaning/Preserving Engine Internals?

So I’ve got the camshaft assembly and cylinder head from my ‘87NA down in my basement…where I will assess their condition and do what might be necessary to get them into top shape prior to an early Spring reassembly. The rest of the block (crank, pistons still installed) is still up in my garage - but my aim is to get it down to the basement also…either whole or in pieces.

The car had died on me so recently that I did not have time to properly diagnose (fuel pump I think), get parts, fix it and drive it before we got slammed with cold weather (northeast Vermont)…I had wanted to at least take compression and run some fresh oil for a bit so engine internals would be relatively clean prior to disassembly - with the result that these internals are now coated with oil (Mobil 1 10/40) which had run for about 4K miles over six months. This coating looks a bit like thin molasses…and I’m wanting to clean things up before they get “sticky,” and am particularly concerned about the valve lifters.

When I’d dropped the engine from an 85.5 a few years back…I’d stored the lifters in fresh engine oil until reassembly - but I’m thinking that in this case storing the current lifters in fresh oil might not be enough to clean them, and that maybe I should douse them (and other engine components?) with something like WD-40 prior to storage in fresh oil.

Then again…should I go right to something like brake cleaner or some other solvent? My thought is that I’d ultimately want to apply a very light coating of fresh engine oil over these components (keeping in mind that some of these parts will sit for several months before I can get to them) - but am just concerned that simply applying fresh oil to old oil coated parts would not go far enough to properly clean them.

I realize I’m probably seriously over-thinking this - but I just want to do right by my engine…so any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-11-2019, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)