View Single Post

Garage
Jim is giving you the best advice; you should be able to find a good used caliper for $50 or so locally or from one of guardian angels like 944ecology, Plyhammer or JustJoshin'. Drilling new holes is a terrible idea.

I just rebuilt the calipers on my 87 924S and felt like a nitwit for messing with that same spring as I disassembled the calipers for cleaning/refinishing; contrary to a thread in this forum that shows removing that spring, there's no need to. I broke one trying to get it out and realized the stupidity of my ways, and found a used caliper rather than buying those springs, which are like $115 EACH (or maybe that was for two...goofy, either way). I still took the two components of each caliper apart to bead blast, then paint them, but I left those springs in place, did the necessary renovation then stretched the springs enough to reassemble each caliper (I'd also popped the pistons out, cleaned them and the bores and fitted new ATE Classic reseal kits). That thread which talks about removing those $&%€!! springs should be edited to remove that step...sorry to see you in the same boat. Luckily, used parts are still plentiful.

Best of luck to you, John/CT
Old 11-11-2019, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)