View Single Post
Tired Member

Garage
Winter Project Gone Wild? ...

... or just your typical slippery slope.

After losing the #2 rod bearing on my 1985.1 NA track car in September, my winter project was simply to rebuild the engine with some reliability and performance upgrades and to strip some more weight from the car. That engine rebuild is being covered in a thread on Rennlist. And a version of this thread is on Rennlist, as well.

For weight reduction, I planned to remove the rest of the interior carpet (rear was already done) and to do an AC delete. Once I got got all of the AC out, I figured I didn't need heat either. So a heater delete, then while I was in there ... ripping out the dash, alarm system, cruise control, unused wires, etc. Now with the car being that gutted, it seems like a good time to replace the bolt in roll bar with a full cage. The cage will have nascar bars on both sides, which means gutting the doors and fabricating manual window function so it will still be weather tight.

Guess it sounds more like a slippery slope.

Here is the current status. Engine out, donor engine (1988) torn down and most of it is in the hands of Lindsey Racing right now. The carpet and insulation has been removed as well as the dash and everything behind it. All wiring harnesses except one have been removed and I've removed most of the unnecessary wires from them. The motor that allows you to open the hatch from the driver's seat has been removed. And yesterday I removed the roof lifting mechanism and gutted and cut the right door.

Next on the list:

Gut and cut the left door
Clean up all the glue and remaining traces of insulation
Repair cracks at the left rear seat mounts (maybe fabricate new seat mounts)
Remove the windshield (for cage installation)
Have cage welded in
Seal up the holes in the firewall left from the AC, heat and vent delete
Install some new heat insulation on both sides of the firewall
Prime and paint interior
Wire in a battery cut off switch
Modify dash to include the gauges I had in the center console and some new switches
Put it all back together, including a 3 piece cross member
Build, install and break in the engine

Working a few hours at night and most weekends, I hope to have it all done by March.

And the cracks at the seat mount

And the gutted and cut right door

I don't plan to keep much of what is being removed. So if there is something you need let me know.
Wife's - '11 Mini Cooper
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 12-15-2019, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)