View Single Post
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
It’s taken some reflection to recall every VW I’ve owned.
Chronologically:
60 Bug
61 Bus
62 Karman Ghia
63 Bug
65 Bug sunroof
66 Bug
66 convertible
67 Karman Ghia
67 Bus
65 Bug

I ran a sports and foreign car repair shop in a college town and three of those cars were abandoned with me because the owners didn’t want to pay the repair bill. The first 65 Bug was a rusted out POS. One beautiful spring afternoon my son, his mom, and our dog decided to take a joy ride with the sunroof open. About a mile from home the dog got sick and vomited, which made the kid sick so he vomited, which made his mom sick and she vomited. I drove a while with my head out the window and the floorboards awash in puke before we decided to walk home. Left the car on the side of the road and never saw it again.
The 67 Ghia was a rust bucket. When the rear torsion bar tube mounts rusted out I took the engine, transmission, and disk brakes off and put them on my ‘63 Bug. The local lumber yard got wood delivered by rail. After unloading a boxcar full of wood they would push the empty boxcar down the siding next to my shop. One night a few of us got together and heaved the rusty Ghia carcass into the boxcar and slammed the door. Beer may have been involved. Anyway, I never heard about that car again.

Last edited by wdfifteen; 12-19-2019 at 03:58 AM..
Old 12-18-2019, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)