View Single Post
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mAn View Post
Looking good. Glad youíre getting it done. My Datsun finally made it home last week and never have a smiled so much. So rewarding enjoying the fruits of your labor. Canít wait to be chasing you in the canyons, with all those throttles singing!
You and me both Simon! Glad to hear you got the Roadster home. Can't wait to go for a rip.

I'm going to dedicate the rest of this post to the engine build (at least where I'm at so far).

Got the case back from the shop and picked up a P201 stand. The inside of the case is bananas clean. Really impressed with what the hot tank was able to accomplish:

Next steps were to follow Wayne's advice and get all the nooks, crannies, and piston squirters clean, check all the bearing clearances, and start assembly.

Rods onto the crank:

Crank into right case half, along with intermediate shaft, oil pump, and new rubber seals.

After that, I was able to get the case sealed up with Loctite 574. Along with a better shot of the welding that took place. The case was meticulously cleaned, then heated up for the welding. After ~170k miles and whatever aluminum was initially used to cast these cases, there were still a lot of impurities which made it difficult to weld. It turned out well, flat, and with no warpage, which seems about as much as I could ask for.

ARP headstuds installed:

Rings onto pistons and then pistons into deglazed cylinders.

Then installing pistons/cylinders onto the rebushed rods with JE piston pins and clips. Those JE clips were a pain! The meat of my thumb was sore for a few days. Fortunately, I didn't drop any clips into the case itself.

Finally starting to get somewhere!

Last edited by Gabe.; 12-25-2019 at 12:42 PM..
Old 12-25-2019, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)