View Single Post
Tired Member

Garage
Removed the windshield yesterday. Not a super fun project. The hard part is removing the trim. First you pull out the rubber seals between the aluminum trim and the glass. That was easy. But that revels the challenge. There are a bunch of spring clips that have to be slid to one side to release their grip on the trim. I used a screwdriver and gentle tapping to get them to move. The top clip on both sides was rusted. So I ended up destroying those ($8 to $10 each). One trick I found was to dig out the windshield glue from around the clip before trying to move it.

Once the clips are out, the trim can be pulled off, carefully. The driver's side had a ton of windshield glue that made it more challenging.

Getting at the clips on the top piece of trim was virtually impossible. Fortunately, using an interior trim tool and working gently from one end to the other, I was able to remove it without loosening the clips.

Next was to use my new Harbor Freight windshield removal tool (a wire between two handles) to cut the glue so I could lift off the glass.
The glass was pressed so tight to the frame that in trying to feed the wire through, I cracked the windshield.
Then when I completed running the wire around the windshield, I found that the windshield glue hadn't completely released its grip. And in trying to lift off the now cracked windshield, I cracked it again.

Lessons learned: take your time, don't force it, or better yet, hire someone else to remove the windshield.

I will have the new windshield installed by a pro. Fortunately, it appears new windshields are not horribly expensive.

Next is to remove all the leftover adhesive. That will not be a fun job, either. However, I did discover while trying to clean that crap off my hands, that WD-40 dissolves it.
Wife's - '11 Mini Cooper
Son's - '85.1 944
Old 12-26-2019, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)