Thread: Deck Lid Strut
View Single Post
Registered

Here's my $0.02 -

The gas-struts are junk, all of them. The market is dominated by one supplier globally who makes a ton (or is that tonne) of them, and while *nothing* is supposed to last forever, this application is subject to a LOT more heat ("air-cooled") which is the enemy to the natural gas law (Pv=nRT), and also: with the "one side mount" solution, the strut will try to push the left side up a bit even while the lid is closed: making for alignment issues.

I installed the (expensive, IMO) Rennline mechanical strut, which will not cause the alignment issue like the gas strut can.

All said: spring for the Rennline one (our host has for about $75 + shipping) and you can switch your tail/no-tail as much as you'd like and you don't have to worry about installing a new strut.

+1 for the rennline solution.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)