Thread: Aem 30-300
View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
ALWAYS CRIMP but there is a different reason.

The O2 sensor actually pulls in atmospheric air through the multi-strand core of the wire! If you solder it you will plug the wire up.
I first thought the explanation was bull until someone gave me a link to a document on Bosch's website where they explained exactly why you must crimp.
This is NOT TRUE. The oxygen does not go up the multi strand core.

I prefer solder. Crimping can result is oxidation between dissimilar alloys.

Soldering stiffens wire??? So what!! This is left over from Aerospace usage where there is lots of vibration.

I have seen this on standard O2 sensors where the voltage is less than 1 volt. In the 9-5 Saabs there is a ground junction near the ECU for the O2 sensors that fails even though crimped and potted and heat shrink tubing protected from the factory. The brass crimp and copper can eventually corrode.
This is a real head scratcher with O2 error codes that changing sensors does not cure. The solution is to take the junction out and solder it and use shrink tubing insulation.

I have done many of these. Soldering has lasted forever. I would not dare crimp that connection after crimping from the factory has already failed.
RGruppe #79 '73 Carrera RS spec 2.7 MFI
00 Saab 95 Aero wagon stick
01 Saab 95 Aero wagon auto
03 Boxster
90 Chevy PU Prerunner....1990

Last edited by dicklague; 01-08-2020 at 09:59 AM..
Old 01-08-2020, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)