View Single Post

I can chime in with my expereince with my Boxster, OK it's a 986 not a 996, but from the seats forward they are identical and both have an M96 engine, mines just smaller and in the middle.

I got my car dirt cheap as it's an auto, but it did have a new engine 20K miles prior to purchase. I basically bought a cheap engine with a free car for $5k. I do all the work myself. The Boxster is dead easy to work on, the 996 is probably even easier with the engine hanging out the wrong place

I've put just about 25K miles on it as a summer daily driver. In that time I've done the following. Note, my spreadsheet with exact figures is at home, call this accurate within +/- 10%.
New battery, circa $100
Rebuilt Alternator, circa $120
OIl changes every 5K miles, 2.5 gals of your favorite oil plus a filter and crush washer. Circa $75
Replace 1/3 of trans fluid - Twice - Approx $75 each time.
Replace trans filter, gasket etc. - $100
A small plastic valve in the auto trans cooling system failed. That was about $80 plus fresh coolant.
Replace ignition switch barrel (hardest job yet, it's tight behind the dash - $40

New glass soft top from Autotopsdirect.com with glass window - $700
New Dunlop tires all round, tires only mounting and balancing was free for me - $400

That totals around $2k, or only $0.10 per mile. Pretty reasonable.

Other things I've done is repair the leather on the drivers seat, again zero cost as I stripped the seat and a friend replaced the damaged panel for me.

One other thing I had to do was strip and dry out the interior as the soft top drain pipes were blocked so water filled the interior. One problem with modern(ish) cars is the carpet and backing is so thick I had 1 1/2" of standing water before I got wet shoes. The electronics were soaked. Removing the whole interior and carefully drying it out and I got lucky, every works still. The one casualty was when I was testing things. I made the mistake of turning the ignition on while the seat harness wasn't plugged in. This triggers an air bag light that can't be re-set by a normal hand held tool That's going to cost me a $100 or so to have someone do it for me after I take care of the trans....

....I do have a big one coming. Last summer, just after I lost my job, the Auto trans took a dump. It had to sit for a long time (that lack of job thing was a PIA) but I've just started work on pulling it. That's either going to be $1,500 for a used one or $2,200-3,000 for a rebuild on mine.

These cars are incredibly easy to work on in a suburban garage with reasonable tools, jacks and jack stands. No lift. Parts are worth cross referencing and shopping around. There are a few items I've bought here on PP, but the sad truth is PP is often more expensive than my local Porsche dealer, let alone cross shopping part numbers on Amazon or Rock Auto.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)