View Single Post

Garage
996 sometimes doesn't crank

I've searched many threads, and many ... er ... fora? But most address combustion issues--mine just occasionally decides not to crank. Dash lights up nicely when you turn the key, but zero turning of the motor. I've seen references to immobilizers with no further details to follow up on. I've seen references to DME relays--is there even one in a 2001 996? (I can find no specific information indicating that there is, and this thread suggests there isn't: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/861259-where-is-the-dme-relay.html).

I've also seen the youtube video "now with fix" about terminal 86s. The first time this happened, I thought it worked. But I now suspect it was coincidence since, as with this morning, I can just retry the start (i.e. turn key back and forth) until eventually it magically turns over. Once it does, the car runs as Ferdinand intended.

Where to start? Would a better code reader give me any real clues? My current one is a simple OBDII a la 90's.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)