View Single Post
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by vick View Post
Just came across your thread, very fun project and you’ve got great momentum going, subscribed!

Curious - you seem pretty fluent with the engine bits, is this your first full engine overhaul and are you just following the book or have you had other grease under the fingernails?

Looking forward to seeing what you’ll do with the induction, what’re your plans to get through/around CA smog?

Keep up the great work!
Thanks! This is my first full Porsche overhaul. I'm a hobbiest but I've done or helped with rebuilds on VW, BMW, and Audi engines. Hoping to add the LS in my truck to that list at some point too. The combination between Wayne's engine rebuild book and the Pelican forums has been very helpful when it comes to little details, tools, and sealant recommendations.

Smog shouldn't be too bad considering how old the car is. Swap the induction and a cat or register it elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1980 SC Targa View Post
Looks like a great project and I love the green - my poor little light blue '80 SC needs the same treatment - no floods thankfully just 40 years of driving...
Thank you. It's been pretty rewarding so far. With the engine build reaching the end I'm looking forward to moving onto new projects, like all the bodywork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solamar View Post
How did I miss this thread?? So glad to see you got the case welded and are moving forward with the build!

I TIG weld professionally and always turn away repair work like this. Aluminum is porous and the amount of contaminants (oil etc) in an engine case make it almost impossible to get that classic "stack of dimes" look that most customers expect/demand. But, that certainly does not mean that the weld is not structurally sound. I'd say you have a pretty solid chance of that crack never causing a problem for you.

Looking forward to following the rest of your build!

Matt
Hey Matt! Yea it took forever to get the welding done, I'm pretty sure the guy I had do it was just procrastinating because of the exact reason you stated (which I don't blame him for). I'm glad to see you get your car up and running.

Last edited by Gabe.; 01-21-2020 at 03:09 PM..
Old 01-21-2020, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)