View Single Post

More Updates:

So I decided to take it out all again.

I gave the engine bay a very thorough cleaning and removed the intake runners and main CIS unit.
I noticed that the CIS unit was completely loose in the body as the 4 rubber mounts were sheered off.

Took CIS off and cleaned out the unit completely.

Installed brand new Bosh injectors and Seals

While I was cleaning I noticed a little crack in the front 14pin harness with a brittle cable.

Needless to say, too turned out that it was not little and in fact was a mayor short at some time and the complete front harness was shot.

The more I peeled back the sleeving the worse it got. The main starter/alternator wire shorted with other wires around it and cooked them all. I have no idea how this car even started our ran>??

So I have been rebuilding that complete cable for the past few days and hope to be done today with it.

In the process, I am repacking a few more vacuum /water lines.

I now have 2 questions I hope someone can help with.

1. Does anyone have a pinout for pin14 for me?
- All the wires pretty much are the same color - and are badly burned or missing sleeves.
- I numbered as good as I could but I just want to be sure.

2. I redid the vacuum lines according to the (928 Dimensions and tolerances 1978-80 book)
- Seems like the PO switch some lines
- I have a vacuum line that I cant seem to find where it goes to. It is on the passenger side and comes from the 5 splitter under the main intake and the goes into the passenger fender (might be fuel vapor related?) see picture below

I am quite optimistic about sorting out the rough running today

Please remember my car is a Manual 1979 US version.

Appreciate the help./
Thank you

Last edited by sighting; 02-11-2020 at 08:20 AM..
Old 02-11-2020, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)