View Single Post

Hi,

So the concensus is I shouldn't fit the gasket. Another reason has emerged why this might be good advice. After fitting the cam towers with the gasket and the sealant between the heads and the towers, the camshaft has moved out of center when lined up with the chain covers. The out of alignment is significant and is causing me to revisit the set-up.

I think what I will do is unbolt the heads while leaving them fastened to the cam towers (to avoid resealing), remove the gaskets and do some more deck clearance measurements. If I have the same clearance I will leave the gaskets off. The only problem I can see at this stage is whether the 1.2" relief in the head is deeper than the cylinder ridge. Can anyone who has responded so far comment on the dimensions of their setups, i.e. depth of head relief and height of cylinder ridge?

In answer to Bobby's point. Yes, I think it is protruding into the combustion chamber and yes, I also thought this might have some negative effects with combustion.

Regards
Mark Bradbury
1983 SC 3.0L to 3.2L short stroke conversion
1988 Carrera - 73 RS project
Old 12-14-2003, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)