View Single Post
82 911 SC - Ancora Imparo

Garage
Finished installing my CR front fuse panel and here are a couple thoughts:

First of all, this fuse panel is a sweet piece of work. It is very nicely made and looks beautiful. I love the integrated headlight relays and the diagnostic LEDs.

This project took me way longer than it should have. I read all the reviews and guidance prior to the install. All of the steps seem pretty straightforward. Although I am not a professional mechanic this type of electrical work is certainly in my comfort zone. I suffered some of the same problems that other people did: Very short wires, and too many wires in some fuse ways. My car (1982 SC) does not have any additional equipment like a crazy stereo system or alarm, so my install should be fairly typical.

I tried to follow the process set forth in the instructions by keeping the new panel in front of the old and transferring each wire in each fuse way on the bottom. Several of them were just too short to even make the connection. So I was forced to label those wires and move on. I thought that the upper wire transfer would go easier. Right at the beginning I could tell that it would not. So I ended up removing and labeling all the wires on the top row and removing the fuse panels all together. Then I screwed in the new fuse panel to the bracket. I then connected the short wires from the bottom that would not previously reach.

Next I began connecting the top row of wires. Most of them went OK, although at least one was a larger gauge that needed some reshaping to fit into the fuse way. A couple others had three wires and I had significant trouble fitting all three into each fuse way. It took a lot of work. As others have said it would be better if there were more room to fit larger gauge wires or multiple wires. I understand from what Jonny said that these were the only components available that were anything like what Porsche used originally. I get that, but understand that some of the terminals may take you more time than connecting the rest of the entire upper row.

My suggestion to folks getting ready to undertake this project is to simply disconnect and label all of the wires from the fuse panel, install the new panel and reconnect all of the wires. On the surface it seems like the labeling of the wires will take a lot of time. However it actually doesn't take that long and I would rather spend time doing something I know will alleviate the frustration of trying to grasp and secure very short wires.

I also purchased the rear panel and I plan to install that within the next couple days. It should be wayyyyy easier, considering there are only three fuse ways. Fingers crossed!
Old 02-24-2020, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)