View Single Post
Registered

Hi all! Time for an update.

I indeed get the copper "gaskets" made from Copper Gaskets Unlimited. Lani was great to deal with and pretty much custom cut and shipped the next day.

They came with some instructions to anneal the copper using a torch. This in effect makes the copper softer and more easily adapts to whatever surface it's sealing. I figured that using a propane torch would take forever so I decided to try some alternative approaches to do multiple at once. My first thought was to use my gas grill and then my second thought was to try my gas stove. The burners are in a circle right? Seems like it would be a perfect tool.

It ended up working perfectly as the copper turned blue, green, and finally orange before you could pick it up and dunk it in cool water to complete the annealing process:

After that they got a copper spray, installed into the heads, heads mounted, and then torqued down.

A video of the process:
https://youtu.be/V7pZJ_D3Uhc

Then the heads and cam housings were mounted up:

Timing chain housing mounted with new chains, gaskets, and rails:

DC 44 Cams have been installed with a 110 LSA. All rocker arms have been resurfaced and pins/bushings that were out of spec have been replaced. Rocker arms have been installed on cylinders 1 & 4 to start the process of checking and setting the timing. This was a pain in the ass because high lift/duration cams that use a Bolt and not a Nut don't have a way to hold the cam in place to set the height. It was a lot of trial and error to get them set at the spec of 3.2mm

And with cam timing set, I sealed up the chain housings with new gaskets and loctite 574 on both sides.

Old 03-15-2020, 10:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)