View Single Post
Registered

I had a pain in the ass time mounting the clutch. I mounted it, then realized I forgot to install the starter ring gear. Then when I installed it with the ring gear I realized I forgot the throwout bearing. Third time was the charm though!

Flywheel installed with new pilot bearing

I used a socket wrapped in electrical tape as an alignment tool, worked great!

I cleaned up the garage, did a 180 on the table, and covered it with a fresh section of cardboard to keep it clean.

I picked up a few parts for the EFI: 42mm insulators without the injector notch, distributor plug, crank sensor mount, and 36-1 trigger wheel from GSF.

My plan for EFI this entire time was to run the MS2 V3.57 ECU and harness that came with the X-Faktory kit with Bosch coil on plug to run the twin plug. I went down a deep rabbit hole learning/understanding how the coil triggering effects work.

The v3.57 board can run three outputs for a wasted spark COP setup but that means you need to split up each signal into 4 separate triggering wires.

There is also the need/desire to pick if you want to trigger the coils on the leading edge or falling edge of the toothed pickup. Leading edge is preferrable but not the way the ECU is setup. With the falling edge trigger, the coils trigger when they see zero volts, which means that the coils could ignite when you first turn the key. That is dumb.

Idk why Megasquirt designed the board that way but that means you need to add TC4427 chips to those circuits to invert the signal. There isn't anywhere to add those circuits to the v3.57 board, you need to add a secondary prototype board to make those work.

At this point I was going back and forth on what to do. This ECU would probably be better for someone with a single plug ignition, running a twin-plug distributor and CDI boxes, or someone ready/willing to do the mods to make it run better with coil on plug.

Hmmmmmmm...
Old 03-15-2020, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)