View Single Post
Registered

I ultimately decided to bin the MS2 idea and pickup an MS3 pro. The MS3 Pro can natively run all Bosch ignition coils on a leading edge trigger and is also setup for sequential fueling/ignition with the addition of a Cam sensor.

This meant another trek down to Clewett for a Cam sensor.

This isn't really a small task to install and means drilling and tapping my brand new cam, oh well...

First you remove the plug on the back of the driver side cam housing, then make sure you're at TDC on the ignition stroke. Then you can mount the sensor housing and use the supplied aluminum spacer to drill a hole into your cam, tap it, install the bolt with red loctite, mount the sensor housing to the cam housing, and then you're done. You now have a Cam trigger!

It can be hot AF in socal so I've desired to keep the AC if at all possible. I wasn't sure if the AC compressor would clear the Triumph ITBs. I was lucky enough to be able to borrow an AC compressor from my friend Adam because I left the whole existing system connected and in my car so I didn't need to get the system evacuated.

The AC compressor does NOT clear the ITBs so I needed to put on my thinking cap. I decided to disassemble the throttle body nearest the AC compressor, remove the butterfly and shaft, trim the throttle body and the shaft, rethread it to m8x1.25, and double nut it so it doesn't come loose. This gave enough clearance to clear the AC compressor. Score!

I took zero pictures of this process, all video, so here's the final result:
https://youtu.be/IIFk82G0sOY

My Audi R8 coils also arrived so I test fit them, they're a bit on the long side. It was at this point I realized that most are running 1.8t and not the 2.0t/R8 coils for that reason

The MS2 that came with my setup won't be used anymore. I also found out that the MS3 Pro can run the Bosch Motronic 127-1 pickup that the 3.2 came with originally. That means that I don't need a few of the extra EFI pieces I now have. Namely the crank sensor, sensor holder, and GSF 36-1 trigger wheel.

For my pending wiring harness build I picked up some weather pack, delphi 280, and bosch EV1 connectors/pins. Some more TXL wire in 12 and 20 gauge, a Bussmann power distribution module, and relays. I think I have a few more sensors to pickup but I'm getting pretty close to start working on this part of the build.

Old 03-15-2020, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)