View Single Post

Oil Pressure Light Comes On

1976 911. The car drives well.

When it is cold everything is fine. You can drive all day on the highway with the thermostat reaching a max of about 215 with no issue. Once I have to stop at a exit ramp, behind traffic, or for any other reason the oil pressure light comes on and stays on.

Additionally, once the thermostat reaches about 180 and I am in stop and go traffic the oil pressure light comes on and stays on. Does not go off until the car has sat and cooled off. The car has oil (currently about 1/3 of the way up on the dipstick) taken with engine running and the car fully warmed up. The oil pressure gauge in the car shows a little over double the tachometer reading when the car is cold (below 180) and about double the tachometer reading when the light comes on (over 180).

This repeats itself everytime I use the car for more than about a half hour (withthe weather cold this week about 50 minutes). I have pretty limited mechanical ability but follow directions very well. What would cause this? What should I be checking? How bad is this?

Thanks
Old 12-19-2003, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)