View Single Post
Gabe. Gabe. is offline
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 205
I had to look back at my pics this week to recall what I actually did. It seemed like a lot of small things getting checked off the list.

They were small things that were a big deal that could totally push off the first start though...

Those "small" items were the following:
  • Cutting relief's in the lower valve cover for the #3 & #4 ignition coils.
  • Figuring out if any of the three starter motors I have were operable.
  • Modifying the driver front engine tin for the Clewett cam sensor and clearancing for both the ignition coil and heat exchanger tube.
  • Modifying both side engine tins for the ignition coil plugs to fit through.
  • and the threaded hole for my cylinder head temp sensor was too big.

The threaded hole for the cylinder head temp sensor was the biggest WTF I had experienced with this build. The twin-plug heads I put on the car were labeled 1-6 and I put them back into the spot they came out of. I never thought to look at the size of the sensor hole or to double-check them prior to installation. The sensor I have came out of the old heads and also fit on the #3 head on the other engine I have. From my research there were no other thread sizes used on these sensors and it didn't fit any of the bolts I had lying around. I had a feeling that someone had stripped out the hole in the past and then put a helicoil or timesert into it. The thread repair must have come out with the temp sensor because there was nothing in there when I got the heads. I took a gamble and ordered a m10x1.0 timesert once I found out that each thread size/pitch uses a specific standardized STI Tap for that thread size.

The timeserts arrived on Saturday and THEY FIT! Wildcard diverted.



I wasn't sure if the stock starter that came with the car would work so I bench tested it. It was spinning fine but the solenoid was sticky. I lubed it and it now works great. I have a lightweight high torque starter that I also bench-tested but the solenoid doesn't pop it out enough to meet the starter ring gear on the clutch. Not sure how I fix that?



Clearanced the lower valve cover for the #3 & #4 ignition coils:




I also did the following that required less modification and were seemingly regular things to do when reinstalling an engine:
  • Swapped out my GSF 36-1 crank pulley for the stock one.
  • Hooked up the fuel lines to the fuel tank and put 4 gallons of fuel in.
  • Hooked up axles, throttle linkage, and clutch cable.
  • Cleaned and painted the oil tank.
  • Measured, cut, and built fuel lines and mounted AEM fuel pressure regulator.

Here's the engine done and ready to be installed into the car:



Fuel lines cut to length and installed:



Oil tank etch primed and painted. Not perfect but better than bare metal covered with grime.



Parts and oil arrived throughout the week, I'm still waiting on: fuel pressure gauge, fuel filter, engine pad, gear lube, large adhesive lined heatshrink for all junctions, and a few other odds and ends.

Three cases of oil for seemingly the first 500 miles... Might grab another case of the BR 15w-50 before moving to the GP-1 20w-50.



In the midst of this and since I was waiting on parts to arrive, I reorganized and cleaned the garage. I also cut off a portion of a shelf over where I put my table and ran a new LED light above it. Feels so much nicer in there!

Before:



After:



I'm really hoping that this week I'll be able to start it, break the cams in, get the glass installed, and be able to drive it. My birthday is coming up and it would be AMAZING to get behind the wheel of this thing for it.

Cheers
__________________
Instagram @everythingcrafted
Day Job - Crafted Wealth
www.craftedwealthmanagement.com
Old 05-04-2020, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)