View Single Post
Troll Hunter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Brooklyn View Post
From what I hear, modern cabs are pretty water-tight and comfy now. And in the summer with the top down it's glorious, of course.
I've had 3. One 996 C4 Cab with hard top, that I attempted to do what you're proposing. A 997 C4S Cab with a hard top that I drove only in the nice weather. And a 997TT Cab that I drove in the nice weather in NY and then moved it to FLA.

I immediately upgraded the 996 to a GT3 type suspension. I tracked that car quite a bit and it was absolutely a fantastic handling car. Had the "sport" button too, I think. MetroNY PCA required hardtops back then.

I attempted to DD that car uo and down the Taconic 12 months a year. The car never let me down, until it snowed more than about 4-6 inches. Then it was just too low to go.

I never drove the 997C4S in the winter. Gorgeous car with that disgusting baby puke colored interior.

Let me just say this. Those hard tops are a ***** to remove and then store. You need two people and then the proper storage arrangement.

The 2009 997TT MT was of course the zenith of my Cab experience. I never drove it in the snow but did take it out in lousy weather. I put 20K on it before I sold it, even tracked it a bit.

I eventually decided the car was too much for me. It was a joke driving it around town, never even getting out of 3rd. Even on the highway, you can do 80 easily in 4th...2 more to go? Where would I use that power?

The car will do fine as a DD. You'll pay modern Porsche maintenance cost, which is to say you won't be doing any of it yourself most likely.

In the end, I decided to go the classic only, nice weather route. We've got a modern SUV to handle the rest.

And you're correct; they are glorious in the summer.

2020 M2 CS
Old 05-16-2020, 05:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #426 (permalink)