View Single Post
77 Restorer

Garage
Targa Bar interior light

Hi all:
I've recently started restoring a 1977 911 Targa. I'm just not smart enough to figure out what is going on. When I got the poor thing, the light was missing from the targa bar. That's the easy part - got one from our hosts. However, the wiring isn't making sense to me. The black wire has power constantly. There are two brown wires, which I assumed were the grounds for the door switches. So:
1. I hook up the black wire to the white plastic end of the switch
2. I randomly chose a brown to hook up. Opened up driver side door - no light.
3. Use other brown wire - same thing - no light.
4. Pull off black wire, and inadvertently touch the metal near the bulb - there is light! I close the driver side door, and it goes out. So there is power, there is a connected ground at least to the driver side door.
5. I pull out the presumed driver side ground, and replace it with the other brown wire - with both doors closed, the light is on and stays on.

So, I have power, I have at least one door ground, and presumably another ground. What am I doing wrong in that I have to bypass the connector to get at least the driver side door working? Is there a switch of some sort? (I know on the coupe there are rockers, but I don't have that on my targa light.) And I must also be doing something wrong since there are two brown wires but only one way I can make the light illuminate. Any help for this newbie would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Bert
Old 06-06-2020, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)