View Single Post
77 Restorer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmadden2 View Post
The switch has two different ground terminals. The middle "flat" position is off because it's got power going to it, but no ground contact. Moving the switch to either position completes the circuit to light the bulb. One grounds to the roof for the "always on" position. The other is tied into the door switches to light when either door is open. If one of those is messed up, it leads to all sorts of quirky behavior with the dome light and power windows.
Thanks - that makes sense. I've confirmed the middle position is off, rock fore (on a relative basis) is door pin ground, and the other brown wire must be ground to the roof. Connecting the ground to the lamp end spade I could get a constant light, but not when I connected it to the light ground on the black frame). I guess the dumb question would be whether the lamp frame needs to touch metal on the roof? In my car, it has been covered with the covering of the b pillar.

Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

Bert
Old 06-07-2020, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)