View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally posted by Oracle
Hi Wayne,
The page is way too "heavy" for dial up users.
Old Page: ...enginA_main.htm is 1075 bytes
New Page: DriveWerks4.htm is 80183 bytes
That will suffocate your server and bandwidth.

As much as I like the new design there is nothing better than a fast loading page.
Oracle Corp. and Yahoo Inc. studies found that if a page is not fully loaded in 8 seconds then ~90% visitors will go somewhere else, then ~50% in 6 seconds. You really want to have that under 3-4 seconds.

I'm sure most of us will wait a few seconds but have you accessed a slow web site for 5 or more minutes? It's really annoying.

Bye
-J
Very good points, but I have not optimized the pages yet - these are merely samples. There is tons of code inside the page that can be removed, and will be before production.

By the way, I did compare page lengths - the page you are talking about is merely the frames header page - not the main page. The page you are referring to is actually 74K in size, when you include all of the frames. The new pages should actually be much smaller than that due to coding tricks and techniques learned in the past few years...

-Wayne
Old 12-27-2003, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)