View Single Post
Warren Hall Student

Garage
Shuie,

I've got a 72' with a 2.7CIS I put in it (similar). The oil lines were the easy part.

I don't think any mods are necessary since your going with the early heat exchangers. All you do is remove the crossover pipe from the 3.0 and then screw the 72' crossover hose to the side of the case where the pipe used to be. The oil cooler side hooks up just like it does on the 2.4 using the 2.4 hoses.

This is from memory but I'll double check and repost if I'm mistaken on this.

There will be some difference in the multi-pin connector configuration since the 72' has an external regulator and 3.0 has it built in to the alternator. Also a couple of other little changes.

You'll need the throttle rod link from the 3.0 that goes between the tranny bell crank and the bell crank plate on the motor that connects to the throttle. (this is the plate where the MFI pump was mounted on your 2.4)

Lastly, the fuel lines have to be adapted. To me this is the toughest part of the swap. The 72' just used hoses with clamps because the pressure was somewhat low. Between the injection pump and the injectors is where the high pressure lines were on the MFI motor. So on the 3.0CIS you need to change out the filter, pump, get an acumulator and brackets,and get all the appropriate hoses with fittings on the ends. I just put the pump where the 2.4 pump was in the back to simplify things. This meant I only had to change lines from the center tunnel exit rearward. Ideally you put the pump up by the gas tank. It's more work and more cost for you but it makes life easier for the pump.

Warren Hall 1950 - 2008
_____"Early_S_Man"_____
Old 12-30-2003, 12:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)