Thread: 2.8 MFI dyno
View Single Post
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beau View Post
Interesting. How much difference did it make on the dyno? I haven't seen any good articles for sequential EFI where changing the injection timing has any impact on power. I wonder if MFI is different.
I can tell it certainly does. However, if you are mapping for power or emissions, the timing points will be different.

Unfortunately, often, the mapping is done quickly to get a power result and all of the important part throttle stuff is never looked at. I have seem maps where the fuel timing has been left at one position all throughout the entire map. When done correctly, the fuel timing can be as different as the Ignition timing all over the entire map.

This is just one advantage the EF injection system has over a mechanical system. The mechanical system has set timing so you find the best position to make the best power over the whole RPM range.

This brings back memories of my time with the Turbo BMW engine. It had a mechanical pump that was controlled electronically. Until we got that system to work properly, we left many engine parts on race tracks all over the world.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)