View Single Post
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by sscates
Emission, thanks for the input. Did you switch to Mobil 1 or did your car come from the factory with it? I've heard that switching mid-stream causes leaks. As if our cars don't have enough leaks. I run Castrol 20-50. One more question, how far above the white line does your oil temp get in the summer time? Thanks again.
Nice collection of cars!
The previous owner used regular oil at 3500 mile intervals. The car did not leak one drop.

When I bought the car (at 118,000 miles) I switched to annual synthetic changes (about every 4000 miles). The car now leaks.

Synthetic oil has detergents that break down deposits and build up (the crud that plugs leaks). It doesn't "make" leaks, it exposes them. To me, the advantages of synthetic with a turbo outweigh the cons of a few drips of oil.

I just put a numeric oil temp gauge in this evening (what timing!). It used to run about horizontal (9 pm), until I put in an oil cooler scoop and made a dam to keep air from spilling out under the oil cooler. Now, it is much cooler (8 pm on the dial).

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2003, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)