View Single Post
1979 911 SC

Garage
Should I drive it home?

Good Evening Pelican Parts! Well, after a search of epic proportions seemingly akin to the scaling of Mt. Everest a deal has been struck and agreements have been made! After 25 years of dreaming and saving and months of actively searching I have found my first 911 and the seller and I have made a deal. This wonderful 79' SC with 120K on the clock is about to become mine all mine!

I found a highly qualified P-Car mechanic in Findlay Ohio who gave it a thorough PPI and passed it with flying colors. Unbeknownst to me it turned out that he was very familiar with the car. Apparently, before the kindly old Gent who owns the car now moved, Tab Tanner the owner of Autobahn Garage was the mechanic who performed the transmission rebuild and install of updates such as Turbo tie rods and chain tensioners. Tab went over the car with a fine tooth comb and only very minor repairs are needed and none are pressing save the replacement of the 10 year old tires.

The question is how should I get it from Toledo Ohio to SW Florida. It's a roughly 1,300 mile, 17 hour drive from it's current home to it's new one and I have a difficult decision to make. I could ship it for $1,100 but I would miss out on that amazing experience of driving it home through the hills of Tennessee, but I would also avoid running the risk of my fiance' sitting next to me as the car comes gliding to rough and smoking unexpected halt on the side of the highway somewhere in the South.

Full disclosure, I am not yet a mechanic of even modest skill levels but I intend to become one one day. A major appeal of this dreamy purchase is to become capable of wrenching on it and getting to know it intimately. I have been lurking here for years and reading everything I can find about these cars but alas no practical experience yet. What would you guys recommend I do? Drive it or ship it? All opinions are welcome!

Old 08-17-2020, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)