View Single Post

Emissions - bad cat?

I brought my stock exhaust 82 SC to the wrench to adjust the CO mixture prior to my smog test. I previously fixed intake leaks and readjusted the mixture by smell/power/idle. It turned out I was close. The numbers looked good, car ran well. Went to the Smog test and failed CO=2.0 (1.2 to pass). The meter at my wrench showed CO=0.6 (precatalytic) and HC & CO2 within limits. Incidently, the O2 sensor connector wire broke. But the numbers were still fine without the sensor. I talked to the wrench after the test and he said my Catalytic Converter is probably bad. We probably should have checked the CO with his meter at the tail pipe. I am thinking about gutting the cat and trying again. Maybe eventually I'll switch to a premuffler if I pass the emissions. Where I live it is a pain to find someone with a CO tester - everyone says after their old ones break they don't fix them because most newer cars can be tested off their computer. Opinions?

Last edited by LFogelson; 12-31-2003 at 02:24 PM..
Old 12-31-2003, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)