View Single Post
Registered

I bought my first street bike in 1989 from a guy on my ship. It was a R90S and I still have it in my garage waiting for me to restore it back to its original daytona orange/silver.

I now have 2 airheads, the other being a 1970 R50/5. I prefer the /6 bikes with the twin shocks and oil bath drive shaft.

I'm not a fan of the R65 mostly for their looks. I'm 6'-4" and I don't fit on them as well as the other airheads. If your on the shorter side, a r65 may be ideal for you.

The /6 have iron cylinders and the laters are aluminum with some kind of nikasil plating. There are a lot of small differences between the years. All of these bikes are old so you need to judge the bike and the owner equally when buying if you want to avoid some expensive problems.

I've rebuilt both of my bikes engines. I had a dealer do the main bearings and install the crank and I did the rest. I've welded cracked frames and cracked tanks and synched carbs... they're fun bikes to wrench on if you like that.

If you find a bike you really want, I'd reccomend doing a leak down before buying.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)