View Single Post

About 4 years ago, a friend was doing frame off restoration of his 67 and got into trouble when started to strip paint off to change color of the car. From what I been told about the incident and from pictures, parts of body panels where it is roll over to give strength, like back end of front fender, are glued then folded. From what I saw in the pictures, the aircraft stripper melted something out of the area and the area lost integrity. His chassis was ruined due to same problem where top of the car meets the side panels, near b pillar and rear window. Apparently he did similar stripping of paint on his other cars using non-industrial strength and had no issues. Apparently aircraft stripper is much stronger. And I can testify to how much better it is then others. When I started to work on my current 74, I was told of this incident. I do not have more details about what porsche did for manufacturing practice back then. My friend and I are using the aircraft stripper on my car but away from edges. We are using sand paper and wire brushes.
Wondering if any others on board have more information about this "glueing" of body panels?
Old 01-01-2004, 11:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)