View Single Post
Get off my lawn!

Garage
It is like asking what a set of 4 tires cost. It can vary so much depending on the situation. 4 - 14 inch tires for a little car is cheaper than one 20 inch high performance tire.

The code changes constantly. There are even increasingly (decreasing?) level of idiots in the world making "idiot proof" an impossible goal. Idiots store gasoline in old leaky cans next to the water heater and the fumes get out and the water heater ignites the fumes and boom. In my city they keep raising the height of the water heater above the ground level. Now it is REQUIRED to have a drain pan, with direct pipe through a wall to the outside. In the past if our water heater leaked, it would run down the garage floor and out the garage door. Yea it would have been a mess, but no significant damage. Now we have the water heater up 24 inches above the garage floor, sitting in a pan with a 1 inch CVPC drain pipe to the outside through the side of the garage wall that would dump out into a flower garden. That is just to be in code.

In the next county north of us you can put a water heater in on the ground level and no drain pan. Cheap, but not real safe.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 08-30-2020, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)