View Single Post

And I have to strongly disagree with you, George. Respectfully. The last thing you want to do with that special ball joint castle nut tool is to put it on an air tool. The special tool is soft, and an air tool will ruin it quickly. The method you want to use, if you want any hope of reusing either the tool or the castle nut, is to use a floor jack to hold the tool FIRMLY against the nut and use a long breaker bar. Frankly, I like the idea of cutting the old one off carefully and discarding. Similarly, wedge bolts usually do not survive this operation. So now your ball Joint ($42.50, not $30), plus the wedge bolt ($15 or so) and special nut ($5!) and castle nut ($15) makes ball joint replacement roughly an $80 operation. Still, if the boot is torn, the joint is toast, or soon to be toast.

As far as the Bilsteins go, Bilsteins are almost certainly the longest-lasting shocks available. Nevertheless, they do wear. At 230K miles, mine are pretty tired and I plan to replace them. Everyone who has replaced them has reported a MAJOR improvement in handling.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)