View Single Post
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfredracing View Post
Call me dumb, but I still fail to see how a plugged cat, could cause a spun bearing ? I would think you would have all sorts of driveability issues , low power, and knocking long before bearing damage would result .
But, Hyundai.....
Oh yeah there were all sorts of driveability issues when the first one went. It completely shut down. This isn't the cat plugging over time. It happens all at once and without warning. One minute it's cruising along just fine, the next the engine shuts down. Extreme back pressure would be my guess as to why the engine is getting hurt. This time around it failed about 1/2 mile from home but apparently not quite as bad as the first time because it still ran but sounded really weird (nowhere for the exhaust gases to go).

Here's what happened to the Kia's with the 1.6L engine. Sounds really familiar.
High exhaust gas temperatures may damage the catalytic converter, possibly resulting in abnormal engine combustion and damage to one or more of the engine’s pistons as well as possible piston connecting rod failure. Piston damage may result in an engine stall, increasing the risk of a crash. A broken connecting rod may puncture the engine block, allowing engine oil to escape that may contact the exhaust, increasing the risk of a fire.

Last edited by cabmando; 09-03-2020 at 11:15 AM..
Old 09-03-2020, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)