View Single Post

The "Show your Bike" aspect of this thread is not only fun but helpful in a way you might think.

If you look at 911_Dude's photo of his restored R65 above, you can see that the intake tubes have two clamps at the medial (airbox) end and one clamp at the distal (carb) end. The plastic intake tube has a flare molded into it, the distal end fits over the carb and is secured with one clamp. At the medial end, the tube mates up to an aluminum sleeve that fits in the rubber snorkel inside the airbox, using a 60mm rubber grommet. The way this is installed is, you slide the grommet down till its flush with the end of the medial end of the tube, turn it so it fits against the aluminum sleeve, then slide the grommet up and secure with two clamps.

This "single clamp at the carb" is shown on 911_Dude's bike, and also Byron's. That is the way it is illustrated on page 58 of the owners manual, and in the 1981 brochure (pic with the blue and green bikes, look closely).

And yet the parts fiche at realoem.com shows the gasket at the distal (carb) end with two clamps there. And I tried to reverse the tubes, thinking they were incorrectly installed, but I can only make them fit with the one clamp at the airbox and two clamps at the carb. . .

I thought this was a function of the tube length, but for the square airbox R65 (1981-) both left and right tubes are the same part number, identical. the difference in cylinder position was accounted for in the airbox itself, one snorkel is further forward than the other.

Scratching my head. . . would ask the folks on the R65 forum but can't seem to get them to let me in. . .
'66 911 #304065 Irischgruen
'81 R65
Ex-'71 911 PCA C-Stock Club Racer #806 (Sold 5/15/13)
Ex-'88 Carrera (Sold 3/29/02)
Ex-'91 Carrera 2 Cabriolet (Sold 8/20/04)
Ex-'89 944 Turbo S (Sold 8/21/20)
Old 09-03-2020, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)