View Single Post

Craig:

You have worn components. A comprehensive fix of a rebuilt pedal cluster with brass bushings, a new clutch cable, and a new horseshoe spring will result in an amazing feel. My hope is that the PO did replace the clutch so that you can exclude that, and the possibility of a cracked throwout arm.

Fixing this yourself is all of about $150.00. It is fun and just a bit challenging.

Pay particular attention to what Warren says about the clutch arm where the clutch cable attaches to it. The round hole will elongate, and you will have a notch feel to the clutch. Be prepared to take this part of the pedal cluster to a welding shop and have them drop a bead where the hole has elongaged. Buy a new rattail file and clean the hole to a round state again and then throw the new brass bushing in there for many faultless miles of use.

Love the RD400. I had a 350B with some TZ accents and I still cannot believe that the front brake was as nice as it was. Made the 400/4's brake feel like I was just grabbing air :<

John
Old 01-02-2004, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)