View Single Post
Registered

Garage
Bringing back the G, with a tuck. (77 911s)

I got my 1st 911 a few years ago. A 1977 911s. Previous owner had converted to 964 bumpers. The car was the right one for me, but Ive never been a fan of putting newer stuff on a older car. I grew up with G-models on my bedroom walls, rubber accordions and all. The original bumpers came with the car.

The day I picked it up:

Ive been driving it like that, with smaller changes the last few years. Planning to build a propper garage, before diving in to change the bumpers. But a visit to the local track this summer put things in motion. A gloriously fun day ended with an exhaust-tip falling of, blowing hot exhaust into the plastic bumper, making it a saggy mess. So I had to choose between a quick fix or to dive in. I dove in.

Trial fittings: (Did I mention plans of a propper garage? A tight squeeze working in my tiny den )

Ive always liked the G-bumpers, but they are a bit on the big side for my tastes. Ive seen bumpers being tucked, so I did some research and some measuring. Had my bumper-tubes cut down and welded. 30 mm front, 25 mm back.

Having done pretty much everything in my tiny garage and driveway, including paint. With very little experience. Im pretty happy with the result:

I never liked the 964 ass on my car. Something was just off. (PS! Noting against 964s. They are beautiful cars!) I do love the new (old) one: (Rear valance is in progress.)

And my new Dansk 2 in, 2 out, exhaust sounds glorious.

The tuck with the smaller 964 smile, was just right in my eyes. About the same amount of bumper, but less rubber:

I think it looks like the car is smiling. I know I am.

Hoping for a long good fall, with lots of driving.

Cheers

Last edited by AndreasK; 09-04-2020 at 08:06 AM..
Old 09-04-2020, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)